Friday, September 30, 2011

Elizabeth Sheldon Dow Rockwell

201 Fern Street, West Hartford, CT.

Elizabeth, Richard, Connie, Horace & Henry


Mrs. Reynolds, Mrs. Rockwell, Mrs. Harbach -Standing MR. Reynolds, Mr. Rockwell

Obituary printed in the Hartford Courant on March 15, 1984.

ROCKWELL. Elizabeth S. Rockwell, 96. of 201 Fern Street, West Hartford, widow of Horace L. Rockwell, died Tuesday, (March 13, 1984). Born in Claremont, NH, June 1 1887, she was the daughter of Robert Kimball Dow and Mary Smith Dow of Claremont. She attended Smith College in the class of 1910. She leaves two daughters, Mrs. James S. Marshall or Gates Mills, Ohio, and Mrs. Robert S. Cross of Kiawah Island, SC; three sons, Henry L. Rockwell of New Britain, Horace E. Rockwell of Toledo, Ohio, and Richard Rockwell of West Hartford; 14 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. A memorial service will be helps in Gross Memorial Chapel of Asylum Hill Congregational Church on Friday at 11 a.m. Burial will be in Oak Hill Cemetery, Georgetown, Washington, D.C. There will be no calling hours. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the American Heart Association, or the American Cancer Society.

I remember visiting Granny's house not too long before she died. I was pregnant with my first daughter, Katie, and thought it would be good news to cheer up Granny who was confined to her bed. But she thought I was my cousin Kim, as yet unmarried. I didn't tell her about the baby.

Another memory - about Granny's memorial service at Asylum Hill in the Chapel. It was a rather small gathering. Mostly family. Intimate because the chapel was a smaller space. But I was sitting next to my dad and that day was the second time that I remember seeing him cry. (The first was when he had to put his beloved poodle, Sam, to sleep.) It moved me to see my father hurting. I guess when one looses one's mother ... it's a very sad day. Now, having lived through the passing of my father (1985) and my mother (2008) I realize just how sad my father had to have been. He wasn't good about talking about his feelings but I feel like I know from first hand experience how deeply he felt about his mother.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda! I’m not sure if you check this account any more but I wanted to extend a note. We are the new owners of 201 Fern and are raising up our children here. The house is full of children and laughter and togetherness. We are trying to restore the home and bring new life back into her. She’s a beautiful old house and it has been a joy to be here the past 6 months. I hope you and your family are all well. Best wishes, Lindsey

    ReplyDelete