Sunday, September 18, 2011

Family Tree

I've wanted to find a good computer program to make a family tree. I bought one a while ago called, oddly enough, "Family Tree Maker" but it stinks. We have a few odd limbs on our tree and it was unable to add them logically to the tree. So, I'm still looking. I may have to free-hand it one day or make one with apples like Kate (then Katie, soon to be Kat and then Katye) did for her family tree project in elementary school.

I have a book at home in Florida and it's a genealogy of the Rockwell family and traipses back to Merry old England where we're related to royalty. Put that in your pipe and smoke it ... or that and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Whatever. It's pretty cool but I'd love to get it update with all my cousins weddings, children and now children-in-law and grandchildren as well.

I also have a few books about the Rockwell family (I think they may be the same book but I've not ever read any of them) and one about the Dow family. That covers my father's side of the family but my mother's side of the family is totally un-researched. I don't imagine that we have anything as interesting on Mom's side but one never knows. One day, I'd like to look into her side of the family. Unfortunately all of the "elders" who could have told me the most interesting stories have since passed away. But maybe the cousins will remember something ... or have some histories written down!

Tomorrow I'll start scanning some of the documents that I found stuffed into the books. Some fun stuff. Let me leave you with this article from the July 1906 Los Angeles Times. (If you click on the pictures, they will become large enough to read.)


No comments:

Post a Comment